Sunday, March 9, 2014

That Can of Soup

When we moved into this condo the movers we hired were young and strong, so I didn’t hesitate to toss everything into boxes for them to lug around.  I even packed all the food in the pantry.  My husband was still able to grocery shop at that point so some of the things I moved were items he had purchased.  Like this can of organic, low-sodium chicken noodle soup he bought for himself.  I’m sure it was expensive.  He didn’t worry about things like that when it came to food.   But that soup was placed in the new pantry and then forgotten.

As the months went by after he died, I would occasionally see that can and ‘see it without seeing it.’  At that stage, if it was going to cause pain – just avoid it. So it got placed in the back as I purchased other canned goods.   I found it this winter when I organized the pantry.   I put it near the front and there it has sat.   It’s funny the ability we have to ignore what we don’t want to see. 

So, the other day was really busy.  I didn’t have time for lunch and suddenly it was nearing 2:00pm.  And I was feeling queasy and light headed.  I needed something soothing and fast.  In that moment, I wasn’t thinking about my husband.  I was thinking chicken noodle soup would be perfect in the microwave.   As I was nearing the bottom of the bowl, the waves of grief hit me and I cried.  That was HIS soup.  And I ate it.   I cried a bit and then went back to work.  And as I did, I heard a song on the digital movie station that I had never heard played there before.  The song we danced to at our wedding for our first dance.  I smiled.  Perhaps he was saying hi.   To help me as I said ‘another goodbye.’ 


And I marvel still today at the ability we humans have to see only what we want to see.   On some level, I had to know that last can of soup he purchased for himself could only cause pain.   But I didn’t toss it in the trash.  I kept it.   I must have known that I needed to experience this moment.  This moment of goodbye contained in that can of soup.   It’s the knowing behind the knowing.

No comments: